All the deliciousness of a bowl of banana pudding and ‘nilla wafers in cookie form! These Banana Pudding Cookies will knock your socks off!
My husband lived in the south for two years, beginning at the age of 19, where he served a mission for our church. During this time, he experienced all the goodness of down home comfort food from fried chicken and turkey to biscuits and gravy and grits. But the one thing he still raves about to this day is their banana pudding! Southerners know how to do banana pudding, apparently.
I’ve made it for him a few times and added in the crushed vanilla wafers, but he says there’s just something about the way they prepare it in the south that really sends it over the top!
So I decided to give up on the pudding form and expand this wonderful flavor to an area where I’m much more familiar and comfortable, in the cookie department, of course!
I ate about three of them right out of the oven. They are absolutely scrumptious! But the real test was giving a cookie to my hubby and anxiously awaiting his response. He’s the banana pudding connoisseur, after all! 🙂 He said he wished he had more thumbs, because two thumbs way up was just not enough. 🙂
So to save myself and my husband from eating the entire batch ourselves, I packaged a heaping plateful up and sent them with him to a church activity, where he was attending as a leader, for the 14 year old growing boys to devour. He said they scarfed these puppies down like ravenous wolves and were begging for more.
Banana Pudding Cookies
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- scant 1/2 t. salt
- 1 pkg. banana instant pudding and pie filling 3.4 oz. dry from the packet, unprepared
- 1 c. coarsely chopped vanilla wafers
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line cookie sheets with nonstick baking mats or lightly spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, brown and granulated sugars, vanilla, and eggs. Add flour, baking soda, salt and pudding mix and mix until incorporated. Stir in chopped vanilla wafers and white chocolate chips. Form dough into 1 1/2 to 2" balls and place at least 2" apart on the cookie sheet. Press the dough balls down with the palms of your hand to flatten. Press additional white chocolate chips or vanilla wafers in the top, if desired.
- Bake for approximately 8 to 9 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before carefully removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
This Banana Pudding Cookie recipe is definitely one of the top rankings in my favorite cookies list, right up there with Rootbeer Float Cookies, Lemon Lovers’ Dream Cookies, Carrot Cake Cookies, Chocolate Turtle Cookies and Strawberry Shortcake Cookies! These deserve a place in the cookies hall of fame with that incredible lineup!
Are you a banana pudding fanatic? If so, you can’t get to the kitchen fast enough to make these delightful cookies! They’re sure to become a household favorite!