Every birthday party calls for Chocolate Cake with colorful sprinkles! This cake is the very best-decadent, moist, tall, and complete with the most incredible melty, smooth chocolate icing!
It’s my birthday in two days! I celebrated a little early by indulging in way too much of this chocolate cake. But then I figure I deserve it, because birthdays only come once a year! 🙂
My number one request when my hubby asks what I want for dessert on my special day is always…CHOCOLATE! Honestly, I don’t know why he bothers to ask. 🙂 I simply can’t call it my birthday unless I consume chocolate in commemoration.
Rather than accepting gifts (although I’m not opposed to that, haha, just kidding!), I’m giving you a delightful present for my birthday this year with this incredibly divine perfect chocolate cake! I wish I could hand deliver it to your door.
I’ve had the pleasure of eating some pretty amazing chocolate cake in the past, including this Out-of-this-World Mint Chocolate Layered Cake and this Copycat Cracker Barrel Coca-Cola Cake. You definitely need to give those a whirl if you haven’t already.
But, because a girl can just never have enough chocolate cake, I like to keep a few delicious recipes up my sleeve that I can call upon and switch between when that craving hits.
This recipe comes from my cousin’s mother-in-law. My mom was served it at a gathering and was raving about it to me, so I asked her if she’d track down the recipe and share so we could all benefit from its chocolate goodness.
If you look closely, you can see little poke marks in the surface of the cake. Those, my friends, are one of the secrets to this cake’s smashing success. They’re the reason that melty, chocolate frosting/glaze can ooze down into the pockets and create pure chocolate magical bliss in every bite!
Chocolate Party Cake
- 1 c. buttermilk *see note below
- 1 c. boiling water
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 c. baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter (sliced)
- 4 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. baking cocoa
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9"x13" cake pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together oil, vanilla, sugar, and eggs. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking cocoa and salt. Next, alternately add to the wet mixture the buttermilk, boiling water and flour mixture (starting with the flour mixture), mixing in between each addition. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is getting incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for about half an hour, then carefully poke holes into the top of the cake with a fork so it will absorb some of the icing.
- Prepare the icing by stirring together butter, milk, vanilla and baking cocoa in a saucepan over the stovetop on medium high heat. Stir constantly until boiling. Immediately remove from heat and stir or whisk in powdered sugar. Stir well. Immediately pour icing over cake. Add sprinkles if desired.
And, because it’s my birthday, I added oodles of happy little sprinkles! But then I don’t think you need the excuse of a birthday to do that. 🙂
I think I’ll throw a party every week just so this cake can make an appearance in my kitchen and on my plate. It really is chocolate perfection!
I hope you enjoy it!