All the glorious goodness of Chicken Fajitas in soup form! This Chicken Fajita Soup will warm you right through and leave your taste buds celebrating!
This time of year, I start to crave all things soup for dinner! How about you? Although it’s still pretty warm here, I’m hoping that by making soup for our evening meal, I will encourage fall to make its appearance soon, along with the wonderful cooler temps. 🙂
I’ve have lots of delicious soup recipes that I love to rotate through and now I can add this one to the list! I can’t get enough of the flavors of chicken fajita, so I added them to a creamy, phenomenal soup! My family and I love this recipe so much and hope you will too! There’s just something about soup that gives you all the warm fuzzies when it’s cold outside.
The nights are getting cooler here and some mornings are slightly crisp. We’ve started to notice the leaves changing in a few places. I can’t wait to go on hikes and see all the orange, yellow and red leaves in the coming weeks. Fall is my favorite!
When it’s chilly outside, I just want to curl up in my sweater and enjoy a warm bowl of comforting soup! This Chicken Fajita Soup is packed with color and flavor! It’ll really make you smile! A little rice and black beans, plus loads of bell peppers, chicken and onions in a creamy, brothy soup base! We dipped crackers in it, but it would also be so perfect with homemade bread or breadsticks! You could even crisp up some tortillas in the oven and add strips to the top.
Although I am obsessed with soup in general, I do have a few complaints about it. It seems to dirty a lot of dishes and take a little more time to prepare than other meals, simply because of all the dicing and simmering. This is why I make soup in bulk, so we can eat it for two or three meals and I’m off the hook for cooking for awhile!
This recipe feeds a crowd or will give you leftovers so you can take an evening or two off! This is the home chef’s dream come true! 🙂 I will be making this on repeat over the coming cooler and cold months. If you are a soup and chicken fajita lover, you’re going to be head over heels for this recipe!
Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red 1 yellow and 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can 14.5 oz. fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c. white rice uncooked
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 can 15.25 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese cubed and softened until almost melty
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Sour cream cilantro, shredded cheddar and baked tortilla strips for garnish, optional
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and chicken pieces. Salt and pepper the chicken lightly. Cook the chicken until no longer pink. Remove the cooked chicken to a plate and drain the liquids in the soup pot.
- Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, minced garlic, red, yellow and orange diced peppers and diced yellow onion. Saute the peppers and onion in the oil, stirring regularly, until tender.
- Add fire-roasted diced tomatoes, uncooked white rice, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Stir and allow it to come to a boil over the stove top on a medium-high heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the soup pot and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes, or so.
- Then remove the soup from the heat and first stir in the softened cream cheese until it melts.
- Next, add the heavy cream, black beans, fresh lime juice and cooked chicken pieces and stir until completely incorporated. Heat through on low heat over the stove top for a minute or two.
- Serve, garnished with your favorite toppings (sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheddar, and baked tortilla strips are some great options). Enjoy!
I can’t wait for you to try this! I’d love to hear what you think of it when you make it!
If you can’t get enough chicken fajitas, be sure to also try this Chicken Fajita Skillet Meal, these Chicken Fajita Pinwheels, these Grilled Chicken Fajita Pizzas, this Chicken Fajita Casserole and these Southwest Fiesta Chicken Fajita Quesadillas.