Chicken that slow cooks all day in the most amazing sauce, that’s then shredded and placed in a soft tortilla with tomatoes, cheese and sour cream. Dinner time just got much easier and so much more delicious! You’ll wish it was Taco Tuesday every day of the week!
We had a really hot week a few weeks ago here in the mountains. It’s pretty rare that we get into the upper 90’s, but it does happen sometimes. Well, lucky for us, it occurred a few days in a row. We were sweltering in our house. The swamp cooler was running at max and doing its best, but we were still uncomfortable to say the least.
So I told the kids that I was not turning on the oven at all for a couple days. Not for cookies, not for cake, not for dinner. Not worth heating up the house! And that’s something for me to say, especially when we’re talking about the possibility of dessert. My son came to me in desperation one day and begged for homemade brownies, saying he’d die if he didn’t have one.
I wanted brownies too, so terribly (my sweet tooth taste buds were yearning and screaming at me), but I stuck to my guns, and I know it kept our house at least a few degrees cooler than it would have been, had I caved.
We relied solely on crockpot meals and our outdoor grill to get us through the unbearable temps. I love my slow cooker even more for saving us from heat fatigue.
We ate really well that week…no one complained. And, dinner prep plus clean up was totally easy peasy! Which is just what the doctor ordered after spending a hot summer day outdoors with the kids, when I’m feeling drained of all my energy. The sun will do that to you!
I love beef tacos, but I thought, why not switch it up with some shredded chicken, green salsa, lime, chili powder and a few other common ingredients from the cupboards? Well, I don’t need to say much more than that we were licking our fingers clean afterwards!
I’m pretty sure these will earn rave reviews around your dinner table too!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 c. chicken broth or stock
- 1 c. green salsa salsa verde
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese sour cream, diced tomatoes, salsa, lettuce, lime slices, chopped cilantro for garnish
- Small Flour tortillas
- Place chicken in crockpot/slow cooker. In a bowl, stir together lime juice, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, fire roasted tomatoes, and green salsa. Pour over chicken.
- Cook frozen chicken on low for approximately 6 hours and thawed chicken on low for approximately 3-4 hours.
- About half an hour before you're ready to serve it, remove chicken breasts to a plate, shred, then stir back into the sauce mixture in the crockpot. Let slow cook for about another half an hour so the flavors can come together and seep into the shredded chicken.
- Scoop chicken mixture with a slotted spoon to allow most of the juices to run off or the tortillas will get soggy.
- Serve shredded chicken in flour tortillas with shredded cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, salsa, lettuce, and cilantro for garnish. Squeeze fresh lime juice over each before serving, if desired.
I’m thinking we may start a “30 days of slow cooker meals” regimen around our house for the month of July, or at least until the temps return to a state where we don’t feel like we’re suffocating in our own home. I do love summer time, but I’ll take 80 degree weather any day over numbers that are pushing too close to 100! 🙂
I hope your family enjoys these tacos as much as mine did!
If you’ve got a serious taco craving to fulfill, even after today’s delicious Crockpot Chicken Tacos, check out these Chicken and Cheese Stick Tacos, these Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells for something a little different, and for dessert, these Strawberry Shortcake Tacos!