Soft, colorful, and so incredibly delicious, these Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars are the perfect addition to any birthday party, potluck or special event! They will not last long! Just don’t forget the sprinkles!
Sprinkles make me so happy, how about you?! There’s just something about a cookie or bar that just begs to be eaten when it’s showered with sprinkles! It’s a party in your mouth!
The other day I was in the mood for a Funfetti dessert, so I looked up a recipe online and made it. I had an event to go to for our church that night and was supposed to bring dessert, so I figured I’d bring those. Wrong-o! When they came out of the oven, they were paper thin and with little holes on top. They looked super greasy too. My kids (my little willing guinea pigs) tried them and gagged. It was a major fail! But I didn’t panic because I had just enough time to bake up a batch of boxed brownies and head out the door. You may have seen this little fiasco unfold on my Instagram stories.
The brownies were, of course, delectable. I love boxed brownies, don’t you? But there was just one problem. I still hadn’t gotten my Funfetti dessert fix! So I set out to create my own recipe that would not be a fail. One that was perfectly sweet, soft, and smothered in smooth and dreamy pink buttercream frosting. And of course this recipe wouldn’t have been complete without oodles of sprinkles inside the bars and on top! Because sprinkles are life!
This time, when the kids tried them, they did not gag. The opposite, in fact. I had to keep them from eating too many and spoiling their dinner. I love a good, soft sugar cookie! I wouldn’t have them any other way! But the best part about these is that you don’t have to let the dough chill, and you don’t have to roll them out or cut them! Just press them into the pan and you’ve got the easiest, yummiest sugar cookie ever!
The key with sugar cookies is to not over bake them. The difference between a delicious, soft sugar cookie and a dry, crunchy (yucky) one is only a few minutes in the oven! So be sure to watch these carefully. You want them to set up completely, but not start to brown around the edges too much. In fact, mine didn’t change color on the edges at all.
Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream full fat
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sprinkles jimmies use the long ones, plus more for topping
- 3/4 c. butter softened
- 5 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- about 1/4 c. milk see instructions below
- 4-6 drops pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Then add eggs and vanilla and mix. Add sour cream and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine salt, baking soda and flour. Add to butter mixture, creaming until combined. Stir in sprinkles by hand.
- Press/spread batter into a half sheet pan (18"x13") that you've lightly greased or sprayed with nonstick baking spray. Batter will be sticky, so do your best to spread it out evenly. Try using a spatula to spread it, and, if that doesn't work, use your hands. You may need to lightly butter your hands to prevent the batter from sticking to them.
- Bake for approximately 14-15 minutes, or just until done. You don't want to see much browning around the edges, if any.
- After the bars are cooled, make the frosting by creaming together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla with food coloring. Add milk slowly, mixing in between, until desired creamy consistency is reached. I used the full 1/4 cup, but you may not need to. Once it's creamy enough, turn mixer to medium-high speed and allow it to mix for 4 minutes. Frosting will be very smooth, creamy and fluffy afterwards! Spread onto cooled bars, then top with additional sprinkles. Slice into squares and serve.
That perfectly-baked, deliciously-frosted sugar cookie is just like heaven! I love that this makes enough for a half-sized sheet pan, so you can please a crowd with just one batch!