Everyone’s favorite chocolate chip cookie just got better with these Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars! Layers of yummy chocolate chip cookie dough sandwiching a sweetened condensed milk and milk chocolate chip center. This is sure to become a favorite dessert at bite one!
Do you feel like the summer flew by? I sure do! The kids will be starting back to school soon and fall is not too far away. I will be so sad to see the summer go. I love having my kids home and the relaxed schedule is nice too. The new school year craziness is about to begin!
Change is hard. I’m not sure that I’m ready to see my kids move up another grade. They’re growing up too fast! I’ll have kids at three different schools this year, so figuring out how to get them all where they need to go, on time, with one driver (me), is proving to be tricky! We’ll make it happen, though. 🙂
Sometimes I just need to take a break from all the busy-ness of life and enjoy a chocolate chip cookie! Do you feel me? In this case, a Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar. These are absolutely divine! If you think you love chocolate chip cookies, think again, because these are even better! I chose to make them, minus nuts, because a few of my kids complain if I incorporate nuts. But, I’m tempted to bake up another batch soon, this time with nuts. I think some chopped pecans would make them even more amazing!
Trust me, you’re going to want to create these in your kitchen very soon! Take them to your next BBQ or potluck and your friends will adore you even more! You can use whatever type of chocolate you prefer, but I was in the mood for milk chocolate this particular day. I have to say, milk chocolate is perfect in this recipe! And that’s saying a lot, coming from a dark chocolate-loving person like me.
This makes a 9″x13″ pan size. As with all cookies, don’t over bake these or the phenomenal gooey texture will be lost. Of course, the sweetened condensed milk in the middle keeps them melt-in-your-mouth delicious, even if you over-bake by a few minutes. Mine were ready in 21 minutes, but every oven is different, so be sure to check them often at the end of the time window.
You’re going to fall in love at bite one! These would make a great back-to-school treat for the kids! We have a fun tradition of enjoying homemade chocolate chip cookies on the first day of school. I usually make these giant chocolate chip cookies, but this time, I just might make these incredible bars instead! I don’t think my kids will complain either way. 🙂
Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 c. butter softened
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar packed
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. milk chocolate chips divided
- 1 c. chopped pecans optional
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 9"x13" pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl in between and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until incorporated. Quickly mix in 1 c. milk chocolate chips and pecans, if using them.
- Press 3/4 of the dough mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top, then sprinkle with 1 c. milk chocolate chips.
- Grab portions of the remaining 1/4 of the dough, in small amounts, and press them flat in the palm of your hand. Then lay the dough sections over the top. It's ok if it doesn't cover the whole thing, but do your best to piece it together.
- Bake for approximately 21-23 minutes, or just until set.
- Let cool completely at room temperature before slicing and serving.
I hope you get to try these very soon! Let me know what you think when you make them! I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram when you make these or anything from my blog! Enjoy!