Do you love a soft sugar cookie as much as I do? Then you’re sure to enjoy these Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars with creamy orange frosting and festive sprinkles! They’re perfect for fall parties and gatherings!
I’ll admit that I’m a total sugar cookie snob. If the cookie is hard and crusty, I’d rather not waste the calories on it. But, on the other hand, if it’s soft and flavorful with a good amount of frosting, I can’t keep myself from eating about a dozen!
Well, be prepared to say goodbye to all self control with these Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars. They are absolute perfection! I opted to use almond extract in them for a boost in flavor and something that will leave everyone saying, “Wow!”.
And then I iced them generously with my all-time favorite vanilla buttercream frosting. It works out perfectly every time and I always get requests for the recipe. The secret is to whip it for at least five minutes, until it gets amazingly creamy, smooth, and fluffy!
Who doesn’t love sprinkles? They make everything more fun! What’s not to love about these dessert bars?!
Kids and adults will be reaching for seconds and thirds! Another tip is to never over bake a sugar cookie. This is what makes them dry and flavorless. I baked these bars for about 20 minutes, but I always check every few minutes to make sure I’m not over-doing them. In my opinion, I might as well toss out the batch if they are crumbly and dry!
We’re gearing up for Halloween around here. We just put up our decorations and the kids are deciding which costumes they’d like to wear. It’s our favorite time of the year!
If you’re hosting a Halloween party or need the perfect treat to take to the kids’ classroom celebration, look no further than these incredible sugar cookie bars!
I love that you can customize them by switching up the frosting color and sprinkles for any holiday.
Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 c. butter softened
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. milk more or less for thinning, as necessary
- Orange food coloring I prefer the gel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, both sugars, egg and almond extract. Add in flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until incorporated. Press into a greased 9"x13" cake pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes, checking often, or just until the edges start to get golden brown and pull away from the sides and the center is set.
- Let cool completely. Make frosting by creaming together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add milk, starting with 2 Tbsp. and then one Tablespoon at a time, while mixing, until it reaches the desired creaminess. I like to make my frosting extra fluffy by mixing it on high for at least five minutes. Frost cooled bars, add sprinkles, cut into bars and serve.
I included one in my kids’ lunch boxes the other day for a fun surprise and they thought I was basically the “Best mom ever!”. 🙂 If you want everyone to instantly love you, show up to the bash bearing these Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars. 🙂