It’s Christmas time, which means lots of delicious baked goods, like these Hot Chocolate Cookies! Curl up on the sofa by the tree with a Hot Chocolate Cookie and a cup of hot chocolate to instantly brighten the season!
I love this time of year! It’s so magical with all of the wonderful traditions that happen and the memories that are made. I always look forward to going to see the lights with my family, Christmas caroling, making goodie plates for neighbors, visiting Santa, and finding ways to bring joy into the lives of others. This is the true reason for the season! I love it when I observe my kids getting into the spirit of Christmas by finding that perfect gift for someone or giving service to an individual in need. I can’t help but smile when I see them learning by experience that it is better to give than to receive.
I made these as part of the Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange! Each year at this time, I am privileged to participate with other food blogger friends, in a charity fundraiser for Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. This is an amazing cause and I hope you will consider donating, if you are able. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a recognized 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to funding research for new, innovative and less-toxic treatments for childhood cancer. Since 2008, Cookies for Kids’ Cancer has granted nearly $18 million to pediatric cancer research in the form of 100+ research grants to leading pediatric cancer centers across the country.
I have some really great news-cookies for Kids’ Cancer is in a matching window with their friends at OXO, who will be matching every dollar raised through the end of 2022, up to $100,000! This warms my heart. If you are looking for a wonderful cause to contribute to this wonderful season, please consider this one.
One of the gifts of this season that I look forward to giving is that of delicious food. I love to bake cookies and share them with neighbors and friends! At the beginning of every December, I host a music recital where my piano students perform, and afterwards, we enjoy homemade cookies and punch. There are just so many things to love about this time of year!
These hot chocolate cookies are a Christmas dream come true! They’re absolutely, magically delicious! There are packets of hot chocolate mix in the cookie dough and in the frosting! It doesn’t get better than that!
They’re so chocolatey-amazing! A soft cookie base that’s loaded with melted chocolate chips, hot cocoa mix, and mini chocolate chips, then slathered with an incredible, fluffy chocolate frosting that’s made with hot cocoa mix and baking cocoa! Then, add mini marshmallows and peppermint candy pieces to finish it all off!
I love a good cup of hot chocolate, but I just might love these cookies even more! They’re right up there with this scrumptious Hot Chocolate Pie! There’s just something so comforting about the flavors of a warm cup of hot chocolate! Bring these to all your cookie exchanges and holiday gatherings and everyone will go crazy for them!
These cookies have a brownie-ish taste and are for serious chocolate lovers only! Is there really such thing as too much chocolate? Asking for a friend. 🙂 But I think not! These will make your taste buds dance like the sugarplum fairies!
Leave these cookies by the fireplace for Santa on Christmas Eve and your house will for sure be the favorite on his route that night. 🙂 We’re on the countdown to Christmas, and I couldn’t be happier about it! It’s wonderful to witness the kids’ excitement. I love all the festive movies and food and activities. I wish it could last longer! It always goes by too fast.
I can’t wait for our first snow! I hope it happens before Christmas or even on Christmas! My kids can’t wait to go sledding and make snowmen and snow angels. We’re also eager to ski again! All of these activities require snow, so fingers crossed that we get some soon!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 c. salted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 c. light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips melted and stirred until smooth
- 2 packets 1.38 oz each hot chocolate mix, dry
- 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mini white marshmallows and crushed peppermint candies for topping
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 c. baking cocoa
- 1 packet 1.38 oz hot chocolate mix, dry
- Just enough milk for thinning about 2-4 Tbsp.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line cookie sheets with nonstick baking liners or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together softened butter, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla until it lightens in color (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add melted chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together hot chocolate packets, flour, baking soda, salt and mini chocolate chips.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough into rounded 1 1/2" balls and place at least two inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Be careful not to over bake or cookies will be dry.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheets before carefully removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting by creaming together softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, baking cocoa, 1 packet hot chocolate mix, and just enough milk for thinning (start with 2 Tbsp. and add it 1 Tbsp. at a time, mixing in between, until creamy and fluffy, but not too runny). Cream it well for at least a few minutes until nice and creamy and smooth!
- Frost the cooled cookies and top with mini white marshmallows and crushed peppermint candies.
I hope you have a joyous Christmas season filled with delicious things to eat!
Other cookie recipes you’re sure to love!