This Hot Chocolate Pie is a phenomenal holiday and winter treat! It’s chocolatey, it’s marshmallowy and creamy-amazing! Every bite is total magical bliss!
My kids look forward to the time when we set up the Christmas decorations, because they know that means we get to bring out the hot chocolate station! I have a metal tiered stand that holds their hot chocolate cups and the hot chocolate mixes. Basically every day, they come home from school and make a cup of hot cocoa. I can’t blame them, I love a good cup of hot chocolate too, on a cold day!
I find a lot of food inspiration from watching Hallmark movies, as funny as that sounds. Everything they eat in those shows just looks so dang good! So then I start craving it and what results is me trying to figure out how to make it myself.
Today’s dessert is a product of another Hallmark Christmas movie. After Halloween passes, I start watching all the Hallmark holiday films. It really brings the Christmas magic into my home. I love it! In one in particular, there was a pie bakeoff and the taste testers were presented with a Hot Chocolate Pie that looked absolutely divine! There was a graham cracker crust, a creamy chocolate filling that was studded with mini white marshmallows, then a marshmallow whipped cream topping and crushed peppermint candies to finish it off.
I had a vision in my head and in my mouth of exactly what this pie should look and taste like and I think I pulled it off flawlessly, if I do say so myself! I know you’re going to love this dessert! We were ooohhhing and aaahhhhing with each bite as we partook.
This would be perfect in the Thanksgiving dinner spread. Or, serve it up as a festive treat with Christmas dinner! My husband is already begging me to make it again for Thanksgiving dessert. It’s so easy to put together, I could make it again and again and never tire!
There’s actual hot chocolate mix in the filling and then melted chocolate chips to create the perfect chocolate flavor. It tastes like a cup of the best hot chocolate you’ve ever had, but in pie form! I can’t get over how incredible this pie is! It would, without a doubt, make the Hallmark people proud. 🙂 And it makes me extremely happy as I savor each bite! It was gone all to quickly!
To make this pie, you’ll start out with a 9″ graham cracker crust that can be pre-made or homemade. I used a pre-made for convenience. Next, you’ll make a creamy chocolate filling by combining some cream cheese, powdered sugar, a few hot chocolate mix packets, and some melted semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Then you’ll fold in some whipped topping and mini white marshmallows. Allow that to set up in the freezer for at least a few hours. Then, put together the topping by whipping some heavy cream, then mixing it with some marshmallow creme. Sprinkle some crushed peppermint candies on top to finish it all off!
Bring some Christmas magic into your home this holiday season with this delightful dessert! I’m definitely going to be making it on repeat! My kids are my taste testers and they are my worst critics, haha. They will let me know if they don’t like something. On the contrary, they are not shy about communicating that something that I’ve made is so utterly amazing that they never want the experience to end. This was one of those times. They were at a loss for words, and that never happens. 🙂
Don’t let the holiday season pass without making this Hot Chocolate Pie! Once you try it, there’s no turning back! It’s sure to become a Christmas time tradition! If you love this holiday recipe, you’ll also love these popular Christmas treats: Raspberry Jello Pretzel Dessert, Grinch Cookies, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Soft Molasses Cookies, and this Ultimate Ice Cream Pie.
This pie can be served chilled from the fridge, semi-frozen or all the way frozen. I preferred the middle way: semi-frozen, where it’s more set up and has a firmer texture, but it’s not frozen all the way. This will take a few hours in the freezer. So make sure to leave enough time for it to chill and firm up!
Hot Chocolate Pie
- 1 9 " graham cracker crust store bought or homemade
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 packets hot chocolate mix dry (1.38 oz each, I used Swiss Miss)
- 8 oz. whipped topping Cool Whip
- 1 1/2 c. mini white marshmallows
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. marshmallow creme
- Crushed peppermint candies for topping
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until very smooth. Add the hot chocolate packets and mix until completely incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl in between.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between. Stir until smooth and allow it to cool slightly before pouring it into the cream cheese mixture.
- Once it has cooled for a few minutes, pour the melted chocolate chips into the mixing bowl with the cream cheese mixture and mix until completely incorporated.
- Stir or fold in Cool Whip and marshmallows.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared graham cracker crust.
- Cover the pie with foil or the top that was provided with the crust (if store bought) and allow the pie to set up in the freezer until desired firmness is reached, at least 2 hours. If you want it to be fully frozen, freeze it for at least 4 hours. You could alternatively let it set up/chill in the fridge for a few (2-3) hours if you'd rather have a more soft-set pie.
- After the pie has set up in the freezer or fridge, prepare the marshmallow whipped cream topping by whipping the heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, until stiff peaks form and it holds its shape when you scoop it with a spoon.
- Add marshmallow creme and mix until completely smooth and creamy.
- Spread marshmallow whipped cream over the chilled pie and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. Slice and serve.
This pie just screams “It’s the holidays!”. I can’t wait for you to try it!
For all other pie recipes go HERE.