This Hundred Dollar Dessert tastes just like Christmas! It’s super creamy with hints of peppermint and yummy crunches from the vanilla wafer cookies and candy canes!
I can’t believe I’m writing the final post of 2018! It’s been such a great year here on the blog, filled with lots of good things to eat! I hope you’ve enjoyed the recipes as much as I have! I’m looking forward to spending some time with my family, enjoying the holiday festivities and just soaking up every last minute and second of this magical season before it’s gone!
I’m ending on a really tasty note! Today’s peppermint dessert is one that I hand wrote on a recipe card from my mom’s little box when I was about to leave home and go to college. I believe it came from a lady in our church while I was growing up. I seriously can’t believe I haven’t made it until now! I even texted my mom yesterday after trying it. I was baffled at how incredible this festive treat is! It really is a shame we didn’t get to enjoy this while growing up, as my mom didn’t ever make it. But I’m certainly glad I found this gem now, so my taste buds could bask in its scrumptious glory from here on out!
If you are a peppermint lover, you need to bolt to the kitchen and whip this up ASAP! Just be sure to leave yourself enough time, as it will need to freeze overnight. Make-ahead desserts are my favorite! Especially during this busy time!
The crust consists of crushed vanilla wafers. You’re going to drool when I tell you about this next part. Pecans, marshmallows, crushed peppermint candy canes, and finely-diced maraschino cherries are folded into fluffy whipped cream. Then, just before serving, you add a bunch more crushed vanilla wafers to top it all off!
We had dinner guests last night and served this for dessert. Everyone went wild for it! I know this will become a Christmas time tradition around here! Once you try it, you’ll see why!
I think it’s so pretty, too, with the red maraschino cherries and tints of pink from the crushed candy canes! I know it’s labeled “Hundred Dollar Dessert”, but it really tastes like a million bucks!
Hundred Dollar Dessert
- 3 c. crushed vanilla wafers divided
- 2/3 c. crushed peppermint candy canes
- 2/3 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2/3 c. miniature white marshmallows
- 8 maraschino cherries diced fine
- 1 pint 2 c. heavy cream, whipped until stiff peaks form
- Spread 2 c. crushed vanilla wafer crumbs on the bottom of a 9x13" dish. Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold crushed peppermint candy canes, chopped walnuts or pecans, mini marshmallows and diced maraschino cherries into the whipped cream.
- Pour and spread over crumbs. Cover with foil and place in the freezer 12 hours (overnight) before serving. Sprinkle reserved 1 c. of vanilla wafer crumbs on top just before serving.
And with that, I’ll sign off until next year as I wish you a very Merry Christmas! Enjoy this wonderful time with those you love! And hopefully this dessert is a part of your celebrations!