This Lemon Lime Cake is the essence of summer time! A buttery yellow cake with hints of fresh lemon and lime, that’s finished with a generous dose of incredible lemon lime cream cheese frosting! This is a perfect wedding and baby shower dessert!
I’m thrilled to be joining some fabulous and talented blogger friends today in celebrating Erin from the Speckled Palate! She’s due in just a few days with baby girl number two! We are so happy for her!
So, to commemorate this wonderful occasion, we thought it would be fun to share all things baby shower desserts with you! I’m obsessed with citrus treats, as you may recall with these Lemon Lime Cake Mix Cookies and this Lemon Cream Pie that I shared a short while ago.
I’m just not quite ready to say goodbye to summer! So I came up with the best Lemon Lime Cake to finish it off with a bang! Soon it’ll be nothing but pumpkin, so I had to eek in one more citrus confection. 🙂
I’ve always been a huge fan of homemade cakes. I’ve never gotten giddy over a boxed cake mix. They typically are crumbly and airy. This one, on the other hand, is tall and dense, packed with lemon lime flavor, and it holds its shape like a champ!
I’ll let you in on a little secret…I threw in some finely-shredded zucchini! I love adding zucchini to my desserts because you can’t taste it, you wouldn’t know it’s there unless you were told, yet it adds an incredible moist factor! No one likes a dry cake!
And I have to say, though the cake is unforgettable, the frosting is out-of-this-world divine! I licked the spatula and bowl clean! I’m all about using fresh fruit juice. I think it gives it the best possible flavor that doesn’t taste artificial like extracts sometimes can.
This cake needs to make an appearance at the next wedding or baby shower you host! All the guests will go crazy for it!
Lemon Lime Cake
- 1 c. butter softened
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 c. buttermilk or 1 Tbsp. vinegar in the bottom of a 1 c. measure, then fill the rest with milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c. zucchini peeled and finely shredded
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9x13" cake pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Add zucchini, fresh lemon and lime juice, lemon and lime zest and mix for a few seconds. Add buttermilk a little at a time, mixing in between.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to wet mixture and mix until incorporated, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl in between mixing.
- Pour and spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for approximately 27-30 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely at room temperature. Prepare frosting by creaming together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, lime and lemon zest, and lime and lemon juice in the bowl of an electric mixer on high speed until creamy. Frost cooled cake. Sprinkle with additional lemon and lime zest, as desired, for garnish.
Head on over to The Speckled Palate and wish Erin a big congratulations! I can’t wait to hear the news that her sweet baby girl has arrived!
Be sure to check out my talented blogging friends’ other yummy contributions to Erin’s baby shower! I’m drooling just reading through the list!
Moscato Cupcakes from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Lemon Lime Cake from I Dig Pinterest
Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip from A Savory Feast
Chocolate Chunk Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches from Ciao Chow Bambina
Ginger Carrot Tartlets from Savory Spin
Mini Six-Inch Strawberry Cake from The Emotional Baker
Blackberry Peach Bourbon Smash from The Crumby Kitchen
Butter Mints from Pastry Chef Online
Blackberry Coffee Cake from Love & Flour
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Coconut Whip from Crumb Top Baking
S’mores Rice Krispy Treats from Feast + West