Loaded Pizza Stromboli Sandwich with deli meat, pepperoni, mushrooms, cheese, herbs and tomato sauce in a tasty crusty bread casing!
Do I have a fantastic recipe to share with you today! This one is another family favorite for sure!
We love pizza at our house, but I’m always looking for new ways to serve it. We’ve had it in its traditional form a million times, of course, and then there’s pizza pasta, pizza stuffed rolls, and even pizza grilled cheese, but never as stromboli, so this was a delicious first and definitely not a last.
Stromboli is hearty enough to be a meal in itself, but it would also make a great game day party appetizer! Just be sure to make lots, because it’s sure to fly off the platter!
Loaded Pizza Stromboli Sandwich
- 2 loaves 1 lb. each frozen bread dough, thawed (or homemade pizza dough or refrigerated french bread dough)
- 1/4 lb. Deli Ham slices
- 1/4 lb. Deli Turkey slices
- 1/4 lb.sliced pepperoni
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Your favorite pizza sauce use just as much as necessary (1-2 Tablespoons), but not in excess or dough will be soggy
- 1/4 lb. sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 lb. sliced or shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted (optional for brushing on bread top after baking)
- Saute garlic, mushrooms, and sliced onion in olive oil until onion and mushrooms are tender. If using frozen dough, let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down dough. Roll dough together into one 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Layer ham, turkey and pepperoni on half the dough (lengthwise). Sprinkle with onion and mushrooms. Top with about 1/4 c. pizza sauce.Layer mozzarella and Swiss cheese over sauce. Sprinkle with basil, oregano, garlic powder and pepper. Spread another 1/4 c. of pizza sauce on top.
- Fold plain half of dough over filling and seal edges well. Place on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter (optional). Serve immediately. Heat the additional pizza sauce and serve with sliced stromboli.
Adapted from Taste of Home
The key to a perfect stromboli is to use just the right amount of sauce…enough to add flavor, but not so much that the crust will be soggy. There’s definitely a fine balance there. Next time I will add slightly less sauce to mine.
The next key to a terrific-tasting stromboli is the filling of course! I loaded mine with deli turkey and ham! My husband is a huge meat fan, so I knew this dish wouldn’t be complete without oodles of it.
I also threw in some pepperoni, fresh grilled mushrooms and onions, and a few seasonings for good measure. You really can’t go wrong here.
Use your favorite store-bought or homemade pizza sauce. I spread on some fire-roasted marinara sauce and it complimented the fillers perfectly!
Make your favorite homemade pizza dough or, if you’re short on time like I usually am, use a store-bought french bread dough canister from the refrigerated section at your local grocery store.
It bakes up as a loaf, but is easily sliced into strips for convenient serving.
I hope your family enjoys this Loaded Pizza Stromboli Sandwich as much as we do!