Celebrate July 4th or another patriotic holiday with this fun fruit-decorated Flag Cake! It’s so festive and completely tasty!
I can’t believe the 4th of July is just right around the corner! My kids are getting so excited to have a BBQ and light off fireworks to celebrate America’s birthday. It’s something we look forward to from the time summer begins, or basically all year long. 🙂
It certainly wouldn’t be a birthday without cake, am I right? How about one that’s red, white and blue and so perfect for Independence Day festivities?!
I made this beautiful confection last year when we were spending some vacation time visiting my family. We took it to a potluck and it disappeared like magic! Everyone commented on how amazing the creamy frosting was.
Of course I had to make it again this year because I was craving it and because it just wouldn’t be Fourth of July time without it.
It all starts with the best (and super easy to make) homemade white cake base. You literally toss all the ingredients into one bowl (no separating the wet from the dry ingredients) and then mix it all up. That’s the way I like it!
Trust me, you want homemade….no box mixes this time! Then, after baking the cake to perfection, you’ll spread on the most incredible creamy, fluffy, dreamy icing and finish it with blueberries and sliced strawberries to look like the American flag. It’s so pretty, simple to put together, and makes such a patriotic statement!
Patriotic Flag Cake
- 1 3/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/3 c. plus 3 Tbsp. shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tub 8 oz. whipped topping
- 1 block 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x13" cake pan. Add all ingredients from the flour down to the vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl in between, until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 20-23 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until nice and creamy and no lumps remain. Fold in whipped topping with a spatula and spread over cooled cake. Decorate with halved strawberries, stems removed, for stripes and blueberries in a square in the upper left corner. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
If you want a thicker layer of frosting, 1 1/2 times or double the frosting recipe listed above.
I just love sitting under the night sky on a big blanket with my family, watching the breathtaking fireworks displays above me. I love my wonderful country! Now, add a big ‘ol slice of this cake to my hand, and the circumstances could never be more ideal or memorable!
This cake would also make a wonderful addition to Memorial Day celebrations and other patriotic events. I’ll take any excuse I can get to make this luscious cake! I hope you enjoy it!