I’ve partnered with PackIt to bring you today’s yummy recipe and fun picnic tote idea.
It wouldn’t be a picnic without the potato salad, now would it?! This one is loaded with flavorful ingredients like bacon, red onions, dijon mustard and sriracha sauce to make it a must for all those warm-weather get togethers and outings! Plus, keep it cool while on-the-go with a stylish bag from PackIt!
I can’t believe we are nearing the end of the school year! My kids are getting so excited to be done and start summer break. I’m looking forward to slower mornings and lots of play time under the sun. The kids will be taking swimming lessons and we have a few road trips planned too. It will be busy, as usual, but jam-packed with adventures and memories!
One of our favorite activities to do together when school isn’t tying us down is to pack a picnic and head to the park. There’s just something so fun about lunch in a special bag that’s eaten in a location other than home. 🙂
And speaking of special picnic bags, I’ll be toting this cute PackIt cooler around with me everywhere this summer! The buffalo check print has my heart!
Whether we’re at the park, swimming lessons, on the road to visit family out-of-state, or camping, this bag makes packing meals, drinks and snacks so easy!
It has ample room inside for food (for about four people) and the drinks can be stored in the compartment on the outside. The long, durable straps make carrying a heavy load a total breeze!
The walls have a built-in gel that keeps food items cool, so no ice packs are necessary! I just popped my entire bag in the freezer overnight and then packed my picnic lunch the next day and headed out with the kids. It’s like my own personal mini fridge, but in a picnic-perfect form!
There’s also a zipper on the top flap (you can see it in the photo above) with a dry compartment that’s ideal for accessories like utensils and napkins.
Plus, the bag flattens for compact storage afterwards!
If there’s one thing every picnic bag needs, it’s a potato salad. This is not your run-of-the-mill, bland potato salad. On the contrary, the sriracha sauce combined with the jalapeño peppers, mayo and dijon mustard gives it the perfect flavor punch! And the bacon, hard-boiled eggs, cucumbers, red onions, and potatoes lend the perfect heartiness and texture.
Be prepared to divvy some out to the crowds wherever you may be and then provide the recipe, because this one will have everyone begging for more! It contains so many levels of goodness!
We shared the leftovers with some friends at a BBQ and it had all of them smacking their lips!
My cute PackIt cooler kept the potato salad nice and chilled until we were ready to dig in!
Perfect Picnic Potato Salad
- 6-7 medium red potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs shells removed and chopped coarsely
- 8 slices cooked bacon crumbled
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeds and membranes removed, diced very finely
- 1/2 c. diced purple onion
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, sliced into rounds, then quartered
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. sriracha sauce this wasn't spicy at all, so add more if you want a kick to it
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or to taste
- Cook or boil the potatoes until soft, but not mushy. Peel and cube potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Add hard-boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, jalapeño, purple onion and cucumber.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together garlic powder, mayo, salt, sugar, dijon mustard, sriracha sauce, and pepper in a separate bowl. Pour over potato mixture and lightly toss everything together to coat completely, being careful not to mash the potatoes. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
The spice level with 2 Tbsp. sriracha sauce was mild enough for all the kids to eat without noticing any heat. It mainly was there for flavor. But feel free to add in even more sriracha sauce if you prefer a nice kick.
We had the perfect picnic outing together! The weather was so gorgeous, which was a breath of fresh air after the freak spring snow storms we’ve been having. And, I probably don’t even need to mention that the food was amazing too. 🙂