This Poppyseed Bread is the perfect dessert to share! Each bite is pure bliss! It’s cake-like and soft with a delicious orange juice-infused glaze. Everyone is sure to enjoy it!
When I think of Poppyseed Bread, I think of baby showers, wedding showers and backyard potlucks. I love to make desserts like this when I’m asked to bring something to a gathering. You can cut each slice in half to make it go further, so the two loaves feed and please a crowd!
Often poppyseed bread is associated with lemon flavor, but this has no lemon in it. Trust me, it doesn’t need the lemon flavor. It totally stands on its own! The almond and butter flavoring inside, coupled with the orange juice glaze, make this bread an absolute delight for the taste buds!
This tastes like it’s from your favorite bakery! I love dessert breads, don’t you? I don’t think I could ever tire of eating this Snickerdoodle Bread, this Double Chocolate Pumpkin Bread, this Banana Zucchini Bread, or this Chocolate Banana Bread. All are contenders for my top favorite sweet bread!
With this bread and all cake-like desserts, it’s especially important to bake them just until done, but no longer. Excess time in the oven will dry it out. To prevent over-baking, test often by inserting a toothpick in the center often towards the end of the time window. You’ll know it’s done when moist crumbs, but not gooey batter, are seen on the toothpick. If the top of the bread is starting to brown too much, cover the loaf pans with foil.
I’m obsessed with this Poppyseed Bread! I haven’t made it in awhile, and my 5 year old was concerned by what the “black things” were in it. 🙂 But then he took that first daring bite and was instantly all smiles! This sweet bread is absolutely delightful! I know you’re going to love it too!
For all those upcoming summer BBQ’s and potlucks, look no further for the perfect dessert to share! This is it! Everyone will rave about it! If you love cake-like treats, you’ll also want to make this Chocoholic Bundt Cake, this Southern Pound Cake and this Lemon-Raspberry Bundt Cake.
- 2 c. sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. imitation butter flavoring
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 T. poppyseed
- 1/4 c. orange juice concentrate
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. imitation butter flavoring
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease and flour well two regular bread loaf pans (8 1/2-inch by 4 1/2-inch).
- On a low speed in a bowl of an electric mixer, cream together sugar, eggs, oil, milk, vanilla extract, butter flavoring and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and poppyseed. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix just until combined, scraping down the sides in between.
- Pour evenly into prepared loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hr., or just until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean (moist crumbs are ok, but no goo). Mine was done closer to 50 minutes. If the top of the bread is getting too brown, cover the pans with foil.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes before carefully removing from pan. Run a butter knife along the sides to release it.
- Let the loaves cool completely on a cooling rack before preparing the glaze.
- To make the glaze, whisk together orange juice, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, butter flavoring and almond extract. Poke holes in loaf tops with a fork or toothpick, then pour glaze over.
Happy spring and summer! I hope you get to enjoy this perfect Poppyseed Bread soon!