This Skillet Pizza Pasta is a one-pan meal that is sure to be a hit around the dinner table! It tastes just like pizza, but in pasta form, with all the yummy add-ins that are typically toppings on your favorite pizza!
I love pizza in any variety, but now I know I love it when it looks and tastes like pasta! Skillet meals always rescue dinner around my house. I’ve found myself turning to them many evenings each week, for a simple dinner that doesn’t dirty many dishes and also makes my family smile. This one comes together in around 30 minutes and is so delicious! Everyone will be requesting it over and over!
My daughter just made it onto the high school volleyball team and we’re so happy for her. We get to go watch her play two or three times a week. This means that I have to be strategic about my meal plans, ensuring that I can make dinner in a hurry on those nights. I’m also finding that I have to be super flexible about when dinner is served.
I’ve said before that I always try to make a homemade meal whenever possible, even if we are out and about after school with sports events. This Pizza Pasta Skillet Meal is one that I typically already have the ingredients on-hand for and I know I can put together in a hurry when we return home from volleyball games.
My family went wild for this! I added in yummy ingredients like mushrooms, green bell peppers, onions, and Italian sausage, then topped the whole thing with olives, mozzarella, and mini pepperonis after it’s cooked. I also threw in some green chilis, but those are optional. If you can think of other pizza toppings that are missing, feel free to add those in or on top as well. It’s very versatile!
We were blown away at how much the taste resembles that of regular pizza! The pasta simmers in a yummy tomato sauce spice mixture to perfection. Prepare to be amazed at how tasty this pasta is! It’s definitely going on the regular dinner rotation at my house. Just like the Skillet Tuscan Chicken Pasta, Skillet Taco Pasta, Creamy Cajun Chicken Linguine Skillet Meal and Skillet Lasagna, it’s a winner of a dinner that will have the family cheering for more!
If you’re looking for a great quality, cast iron skillet, this one’s a really good one! I love how easily it cleans afterwards, with just some soap and water. It’s oven safe too! This meal is everything a family meal should be-easy, satisfying and so delicious! You’ll love the melty mozzarella cheese on top! No need to order pizza, because this Skillet Pizza Pasta will totally hit the spot!
Skillet Pizza Pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. mild Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper diced coarsely
- 1/2 yellow onion diced finely
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 can 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 can 14.5 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 1/2 c. about 10 oz. pasta, uncooked (I used Gemilli)
- 1/2 c. diced green chilis optional
- 1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
- Sliced black olives and Mini Pepperonis for topping
- In a large skillet over the stove top on medium-high heat, saute bell pepper, onion, and fresh mushrooms in the olive oil with the minced garlic, until tender.
- Add Italian sausage and cook, while breaking it up, until no longer pink and completely cooked through. Drain the grease.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, sugar, and Italian seasoning and stir. Stir in pasta and push it under the liquids.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover with a lid and allow it to cook until the noodles are tender the liquids are mostly gone (about 12-15 minutes). Uncover and stir it every four minutes or so, so the noodles don't stick together and to the pan, then replace the lid and allow it to continue cooking.
- When most of the liquids are gone, stir in green chilis (if desired) and top with mozzarella cheese, diced black olives and mini pepperonis. Replace the lid and allow the cheese to melt, then serve immediately.
Busy weeknights have got nothing on you! Pull this recipe out of your back pocket and dinner will basically make itself!
For all other skillet meal recipes, go here.