A cool and refreshing dessert, this Layered Pudding Cake will satisfy that sweet tooth craving in the best way!
I grew up enjoying this treat as often as we kids could convince my mom to make it. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve only made it a handful of time for my own kids. I’d kind of forgotten about it. Until the other day, when I found two packages of chocolate pudding in my pantry that were just begging to be made into this!
A buttery, nutty crust, followed by a sweetened cream cheese layer, then chocolate pudding and whipped topping to finish it off! You can’t go wrong with this treat!
Plus, it’s so easy to make! The layers come together in a hurry! No need to wait for each one to set up. You can be making the cream cheese layer while the crust is baking, then just pour the pudding over that! Just before you’re ready to serve it, spread the whipped topping over and sprinkle with chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips!
We devoured the entire pan in no time at all! I caught myself using a spoon to scrape the remnants from the edges of the pan. I didn’t want any of it to go to waste! I really wish I had more sitting in front of me right now. 🙂
I’m pretty sure you’re going to be crazy for it too! Especially with the warmer months coming on, this is a go-to dessert for cooling off!
Layered Pudding Cake
- First layer:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- 1/2 cup butter softened slightly
- Second Layer:
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup Cool Whip save the rest
- Third Layer:
- 2 packages 3.9 oz each of Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix (or other flavor of choice); plus milk for preparing
- Fourth Layer:
- Remainder of the Cool Whip tub
- Chopped nuts chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips, toffee or candy bar bits
- To make the crust, combine flour, nuts, and butter with a fork and then use your hands to squish it together until well combined. Press in the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13" pan (just grease the bottom). Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 13-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- While the crust is baking and cooling, prepare the cream cheese layer by mixing together cream cheese, powdered sugar and cool whip with an electric mixer. Spread over cooled crust.
- Prepare two packages of instant chocolate pudding mix according to package directions. Pour over the cream cheese layer and place in the fridge so the pudding can set up.
- Just before serving, spread the remainder of the cool whip tub over the top, sprinkle with chopped nuts, chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips, toffee or candy bar bits and serve.
I bet you can’t say no to a slice or two!