A hearty and satisfying combination of chili-cheese diced potatoes and seasoned hamburger, the Wild West cowboys themselves would have approved! This casserole is a real winner and will receive rave reviews at the dinner table!
I feel like I’ve been making a lot of casseroles lately. I recently posted about this phenomenal Meatball Pasta Bake that is a must-make recipe. I remember complaining and even shedding ridiculous tears, growing up, whenever I asked my Mom what was for dinner and she responded with, “…Casserole”.
I think casseroles have a bad rap, at least in the eyes of children, and I haven’t quite figured out why, even after having been one once.
Because, as a mother, I absolutely love them. Casserole to me is synonymous with leftovers and that in turn means I don’t have to cook, do dishes, or spend too much time cleaning the kitchen for the next night at least! Cue the chorus of angels!
This wondrous meal sort of came about by accident, like most scrumptious dinners do around our house.
We had tacos one evening and I made Jen from Yummy. Healthy. Easy’s fabulous “Best Ever Taco Meat”. It was one of the best discoveries I have ever come across in the world of food. If you haven’t tried it, you must! Since making it for the first time, I never make any other.
Anyway, we had a ton of leftover meat, so the next evening I was racking my brain, trying to figure out how to not let the delicious stuff go to waste. It was also an evening where I wasn’t in the mood to cook (it happens all too often), so I wanted to be able to throw something together and be done with it.
Well, the result was this incredible dish of pure comfort that caused total and complete silence in the dining room while we scarfed it down. You know the kind of delicious food where you don’t even want to waste air or time talking in between bites, because you just want to shovel it down your throat? And you fail to remember that a little thing called manners exists? Yea, this was that kind of food.
- 5-6 Medium Red Potatoes cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 can 15 oz chili with beans
- 1 can 10 oz diced tomatoes & green chiles (Rotel)
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 c. Colby/Jack Cheese shredded
- 1 lb. lean ground beef plus all ingredients required for the Homemade Taco Meat Recipe Listed Below
- The Best Homemade Taco Meat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin by washing and drying the potatoes, then cutting them into bite-sized chunks. In a a large bowl, stir together salt, pepper, chili with beans, diced tomatoes with green chiles and cream cheese. Add potatoes to bowl and toss to coat completely.
- Pour into a greased 8x8 casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake for approximately one hour, or just until potatoes are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are baking in the oven, cook taco meat according to directions on the website listed in the ingredients section above.
- For the last ten minutes before casserole is done, sprinkle meat mixture on top and top meat mixture with cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until cheese melts and meat is warm. Serve and enjoy!
So be prepared to inhale your plateful of this phenomenal Cowboy Casserole! This is a meal the whole family will enjoy! Let me know what you think of it!