Enjoy fall and comfort food season with this yummy King Ranch Chicken Soup. It’ll warm you right through! And you can pop it in the crockpot in the morning and forget about it until dinner!
I posted a little teaser about this a few weeks ago when I shared a fun giveaway, but today it’s even more official, because my friend Samantha from Five Heart Home just came out with an amazing cookbook! I’m absolutely thrilled for her. I know she put tons of time and effort into it, making sure it’s absolutely perfect! It’s called Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers, so you probably know by now that it’s chock full of delicious meals that you can make in your slow cooker! Heck, yes!
It includes 80 slow-cooker dinner recipes, all printed with gorgeous full color photos and using unprocessed ingredients! Each of them are simple enough for busy weeknight meals, yet fancy enough to serve to company!
I don’t know about you, but my family’s dinner life pretty much revolves solely around the slow cooker come the fall and winter months. I love how the aroma fills the house as the soup or meat simmers all day to perfection. And I love that I can throw all the ingredients in, in the morning, go about my daily activities, and then, just like magic, supper’s ready and on the table when it needs to be. So you can bet I’ll be becoming best friends with all 207 pages in this book.
Here are just a few recipes and categories that you’ll see within:
~Teriyaki Chicken Breasts
~Marinated Pork Chops & Potatoes
COMFORTING MAIN DISHES
~Mexican Pot Roast with Borracho Beans
~Bacon-Wrapped Peach Jalapeño Pork Loin
~Cheesy Spinach Lasagna
~King Ranch Chicken Soup
~Thai Shrimp Soup with Rice Noodles
~Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
STEWS, CHILIS, & CHOWDERS
~Beefy Three-Bean Chili
~Pork & Hominy Stew
~Chicken & Dumplings
SANDWICHES, TACOS, & WRAPS
~Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Sliders
~Mini Pulled Pork Pizzas
~French Dip Tacos with Caramelized Onions & Bleu Cheese
HOLIDAY HELPERS (holiday main dishes to make in the slow cooker so that your oven is freed up for other recipes)
~Cran-Cherry Glazed Ham
~Herbed Turkey Breast
~Citrus-Glazed Cornish Hens
Bonus Chapter: HOMEMADE SEASONINGS & STOCKS
Feel free to drool at this little sampling of what’s inside the book. The Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Sliders are next on my list. One thing’s for sure-my slow cooker is going to be worked to the max in the coming months, and I like it! 🙂
This soup packs a big punch of southwest flavor! It’s seriously SO tasty! Even my one-year-old baby couldn’t get enough and was licking his bowl clean. 🙂 This recipe will be on repeat around here for sure! I can’t wait to make the other incredible slow cooker meals from Samantha’s book! Her home cookin’ is no joke! And she’s got the best-kept secret in town, because each one of her recipes would lead you to believe the chef had put hours into preparation, when in reality the slow cooker did most or all of the work!
This soup made its way to the top of my favorites list and I’m sure you’ll love it too!
Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup
- 8 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles (mild, original or hot, depending on your heat preference)
- 1 medium jalapeño minced (seeds and membranes left intact for spicy, removed for mild)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar Mexican blend or Colby Jack cheese, plus more for serving
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro for serving, optional
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until it is fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minutes. Stir in the flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Increase the heat to a simmer and whisk continuously for several minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add black pepper to taste and set the sauce aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large slow cooker. Top them with the diced tomatoes with green chiles and jalapeño and pour the sauce over the top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through but not overcooked. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, stir the cheese into the slow cooker and cover the slow cooker for the time being. Pull the chicken into large chunks and stir it back into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are heated through. Stir well. To serve, crush the tortilla chips into a bowl and ladle the soup over the top, garnishing with extra cheese and the cilantro, if desired.
And now, if you’ll please excuse me, I’ll be in the kitchen prepping another scrumptious slow cooker recipe. This book is seriously the jackpot of deliciousness!