A lake of warm, soft caramel atop chocolate chunks and thick, fudgy one-bowl homemade brownies! Welcome to dessert heaven!
I’ve never been much of a New Year’s resolutionist. Specifically when we’re talking about altogether giving up the foods that I love. When it comes down to it, I’m unwilling to make goals that I can’t keep and I just know myself too well when it comes to sugar, particularly chocolate. 🙂
Which is exactly why I’ve set a goal to exercise more in this new year. So hopefully things will balance out. Ha!
Plus, the happiness that comes from enjoying a decadent, indulgent brownie far outweighs (excuse the pun) the satisfaction that the loss of a few ounces or pounds on the scale can bring, at least that’s my philosophy.
One caramel brownie instead of two counts as a healthy diet choice, am I right?! 🙂
So I’ll continue to partake of the sweet treats that make me smile. And then I’ll pay for it with jumping jacks and mountain climbers. 🙂
My inspiration for today’s incredibly scrumptious brownies came over our winter break when we visited Zupa’s Cafe in Utah. Among the dessert line-up were some incredible-looking “Caramel Rockslide Brownies”. I resisted them, simply because I was already filling up on soup and salad, but I knew I needed to get home and make a replica in my own kitchen.
Caramel and brownies are dessert paradise! Don’t you agree?
I’m not a cake-y brownie person. I prefer fudgey, dense and completely rich! To me, it’s the only way to go when it comes to brownies.
The key to always-soft caramel is using caramel bits. Have you seen them in stores? It’s a trick I discovered a few years back, and now I never use anything else.
Trust me when I say that you’re going want to inhale these irresistible brownies! Heck, I wouldn’t judge you if you had an inclination to face plant in the caramel topping.
- 1 1/2 sticks salted butter 3/4 c.
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips plus 1/2 c. separated
- 3.9 oz. chocolate instant pudding and pie filling the dry packet
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- For the topping:
- 1 c. chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 c. caramel bits
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over the sides.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, slice butter and add 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips. Melt together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, just until chocolate is mostly melted. Whisk in eggs and brown sugar. Add salt, pudding mix, flour and 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or just until the brownies are set but not overdone. Allow them to cool for a little while at room temperature, then place in the refrigerator to cool completely and get dense and fudge-like.
- Sprinkle the top of the cooled brownies evenly with 1 c. chocolate chunks.
- Melt caramel bits with milk in the microwave. Stir until smooth, then immediately pour over brownies and chocolate chunks. Allow the caramel to set a bit, then slice into squares and serve.
There’s not a whole lot of flour in the recipe, and that’s what makes them super dense and fudge-like instead of cake-like. I’m pretty sure you’re going to be crazy about these! At first sight, some may say these are over-the-top, but to that I say no way! But, don’t take my word for it! Try them and let me know what you think!
If you only make one more dessert in your life, let these caramel-drenched brownies be it! You’ll be singing from the rooftops in delight!