A comforting, hearty casserole filled with creamy noodles, corn and hamburger, topped with crusty, buttery bread crumbs. The family will devour this in a hurry!
I’m a total casserole person now. I can’t say I always was. In fact, in my early years of marriage, my husband and I were SO OVER casseroles. We had them basically every night because a) it made a ton b) leftovers for days! c) I didn’t have to cook every night while I was busy in college. All of those reasons point to the same, wonderful quality of casseroles and that is that they feed an army! Although there were only two mouths to feed in our house at the time, we were on a tight budget, and we all know how casseroles are super economical because of the sheer quantity of food they produce.
Which is why, growing up in a very large family, this casserole was on repeat at my house. It would show up at the dinner table at least once a month.
We kids would always complain about having to eat casserole out loud, but I secretly liked them. This Hamburger Corn Casserole was my all time favorite, right next to this Chicken Tetrazzini and this Cheesy Broccoli Bake.
I have to admit that I hadn’t made this for years up until this point. Luckily I was browsing through my recipe cards and found it. I wanted to kick myself for forgetting about it for so long. When my husband walked through the door from work, he immediately knew what it was by the distinct, phenomenal smell and expressed his extreme excitement. That’s what happens when you wait ten years to make a best-loved meal. 🙂
My kids tanked down on it too! It really is SO easy to whip up (it’s basically dump and bake) and I love that it can please the whole family!
What’s not to love about oodles of noodles? The corn adds a yummy contrast of sweetness to this otherwise savory dish and the breadcrumbs on top are the perfect finishing touch.
I won’t let this recipe slip my mind again! I’m not making that mistake twice! With the cooler weather on its way, this is definitely a meal idea to keep handy. I love digging into a warm, satisfying casserole when it’s biting cold outside. It’s more comforting than an oversized, thick sweater, in my opinion.
Hamburger Corn Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 15 oz. can whole kernel corn drained
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 c. full fat sour cream
- 3/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 heaping cups medium egg noodles cooked and drained
- 1 c. breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onion while breaking it up, until meat is no longer pink and is lightly browned and onion is tender. Stir in the corn, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Carefully stir in cooked egg noodles until completely coated. Prepare the breadcrumb topping by stirring together breadcrumbs and melted butter. Pour noodle mixture into an 8x8" casserole dish, sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and hot.
I hope you enjoy this hamburger noodle bake as much as my family does!