Citrus screams summer time, so why not incorporate the incredible flavors of lemon and lime in a cookie that’ll have your mouth watering and quickly become your favorite this season?! I say yes!
My husband is not a sugar cookie fan and doesn’t get excited in the least over cake mix cookies. So, when he came home the other day, I had to really work to convince him to try this “new incredible lemon and lime cookie concoction” I had come up with. I just knew he would fall head over heels for it like he did for me over 13 years ago, haha!
And boy was I right! He was a little hesitant because he’s not one to “waste calories” eating things he doesn’t enjoy. But once he took that first bite, his eyes lit up and got as big as saucers. And the resulting “mmmmmm…!!!” was very audible. 🙂 And now I’m sure I know who stole the cookies from the cookie jar! 🙂
You’d hardly know these start with a cake mix! These taste completely homemade but are extremely easy to make, with just a few ingredients! They start with a white cake mix for the basis, then I dressed the flavor up for summer with fresh lemon and lime zest and juice. My taste buds are yearning for these cookies, just typing about them. 🙂
If you are a citrus fan, you are going to go wild for these cookies! I’m telling you, you will not be able to get enough of them! So take my advice and double or triple the batch. 🙂
I had decided this particular day that I was going to be really good about not over-consuming desserts. And I was so determined to stick to my goal. That is, until these beauties came out of the oven, all soft and scrumptious, just begging to be devoured. Then I drizzled them with a made-from-scratch lemon lime glaze and all my good intentions went straight out the window.
They just sat there taunting me, as if to say, “Eat me! I dare you stop at just one!”
Well, I lost that dare, haha! And my self control! But these treasures are so worth it!
Lemon Lime Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box 15.25 oz white cake mix (the ounces make a huge difference, so make sure they match!
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest finely zested
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest finely zested
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. lime zest finely zested
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest finely zested
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. milk more or less, as needed, for thinning
- For the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease cookie sheets or line them with nonstick baking mats.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, vegetable oil, egg, lime and lemon juice, and lime and lemon zest until incorporated.
- Form or scoop dough into 1 1/2" balls and place at least 2" apart on prepared cookie sheets. Press the dough balls down with the palms of your hands to flatten. Bake for approximately 8 to 9 minutes. Mine were done at 8. Don't overbake or they won't be soft! Allow them to cool for a few minutes on the pan and then carefully remove them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, lime and lemon zest, and lime and lemon juice. Add milk very carefully and slowly (I only needed about 1/2 tsp.), as necessary for thinning. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Serve.
And so, my friends, I dare you to stop at just one! I bet you can’t! Hey, there’s no judgment here!