These Frosted Cake Mix Cherry Chip Cookies are absolutely delightful! So soft and decadent with the perfect cherry flavor!
The Cherry Chip Cake Mix is one of my favorites. I’m not much for making cake mix cakes, unless I doctor them up a bit. I’m telling you, if you love a good cake that tastes homemade but is simple to make, you’ve got to try this Funfetti Cake and this Chocoholic Bundt Cake! It’s not hard to make a cake mix taste homemade, with a few simple add-ins.
I walked down the baking aisle at the grocery store the other day, looking for some delicious inspiration for my next dessert, and the Cherry Chip Cake Mix called my name. Cake mix cookies are probably the easiest cookie you’ll ever make! This recipe has just four ingredients, plus the frosting. But if you’d rather leave them unfrosted, go for it!
I have to say, though, I love the creamy buttercream frosting. It adds a whole new level of incredible without much extra effort. If you love cake mix cookies, you’ll also need to try these Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies and these Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies. So good! I love the added flavor the almond extract contributes, in both the cookie and frosting portion.
If you have some butter, almond extract, a cherry chip cake mix and an egg lying around, you can make these cookies! I love to stock up on cake mixes when they go on sale so I can whip up some cookies whenever I feel like it. 🙂 If I need to take dessert to a gathering, it’s so easy to throw together a plate of cookies, starting with a basic cake mix.
You are probably aware of how obsessed I am with cookies by now. I mean, I’ve been sharing cookie recipes here on the blog for almost ten years (how is that possible?). 🙂 Time flies! If I can have my choice of dessert, it will most always be a cookie, so long as it is homemade, soft and delicious. If you are in need of the perfect summer potluck treat, this is it! These will receive rave reviews! Just be careful to bake them to perfection. Mine were done in 7 minutes. Resist the urge to bake them longer than 8 minutes.
I can’t wait for you to try these! If you’ve never made a cake mix cookie, today is your day with this recipe! You’ll be hooked at bite one! These would be a good one for 4th of July celebrations! They’re festive and pretty! Double the batch to serve a crowd! One recipe makes about 16 cookies. These come together in a snap! There’s no reason not to make them!
Cake Mix Cherry Chip Cookies
- 1 box 15.25 oz Cherry Chip Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 Tbsp. milk more, as necessary, for making it creamy
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheets with nonstick baking liners or lightly spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add cake mix, almond extract, melted butter and the egg. Mix until incorporated.
- Scoop or form dough into 1 1/2" balls. Place them at least two inches apart on the cookie sheet. Press the dough balls down with the palm of your hand to flatten them.
- Bake for 7 minutes, or no more than 8 minutes. Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, before carefully removing them to cooling racks.
- After the cookies are cool, prepare the frosting by creaming together in the bowl of an electric mixer the powdered sugar, softened butter, almond extract and just enough milk to make it creamy (start with 1 Tbsp. and add it very slowly after that, mixing between). 1 Tbsp. was enough for mine. Turn the mixer on a medium-high speed and allow it to mix for at least 3 minutes, to let the frosting get nice and creamy.
- Frost the cookies and enjoy!
I hope you are having a wonderful summer! These cookies will make the dreamy summer days even better! Enjoy!